What about a 4k 120HZ professional monitor with 3:2 aspect ratio?

Response time and refresh rate are not foundamental for productivity. They should focus on color accuracy, design, resolution and aspect ratio.

Hi @sopranidaniele23,

Welcome to the community!

Agreed, taller screen is much better for productivity and I believe we don’t have that much option on the market. I have a few questions to kickstart the discussion:

1. What size and to balance it out, what resolution do you think is ideal for this kind of monitor?
  2. What kind of finish is preferred; since you mentioned colour accuracy before I would assume glossy is your choice?
  3. May I know why you would like to have higher than standard 60Hz , if it is solely for productivity use?
  4. What do you think of currently growing demand for 16:10 aspect ratio, which is considered to be more versatile on its use (for both content viewing and productivity)?
  5. Aside of being “just” a screen, what extra feature do you think might be wonderful to have on the monitor?
2 Likes
  1. assuming the monitor is aimed for programmers, content creators etc, text clarity is probably important. So good DPI probably matters? I personally think the current standard size (about 27") is a good compromise. Going bigger would mean that the resolution requirement goes through the roof.

2. The ostensibly improved text clarity would side with a glossy panel but on the other hand I would expect a “productivity” oriented monitor to find its place in big office rooms. In that environment you cannot necessarily control the ambient lighting conditions well if at all, so glossy panel might not be a viable option.

3. I think high refresh rate is beneficial for “productivity” use as well. It just makes scrolling through text, moving windows etc way better. Once you get used to the smoother overall experience its hard to go back to 60Hz, even if you’re not a gamer. You can already see non-gaming oriented laptops ship with >60Hz screens.

4. I very much like the USB hub on my ES07D03. (Looking forward to that new firmware which hopefully fixes the inconvenience of having to choose the USB source manually with the joystick every time. Please hurry guys :wink:)

2 Likes

Sorry, but IMHO 3:2 doesn’t scale very well with a lot of content these days. It’s kind of an aspect ratio of the past. Good for Microsoft Office perhaps but not a lot of visual content. (I’d love to be proven wrong, however.)

If Eve was going to go for any custom aspect ratio it should be 16:10 - the best aspect ratio for productivity IMHO.

16:10 is wide enough for all standard 16:9 content to horizontally scale perfectly and tall enough that things also don’t feel squished on modern OS’s.

For example, you can edit 4K/1080p etc. and still have room for controls at the bottom of the screen or browse the internet and have much more vertical room to display content than 16:9.

Room at the bottom of the screen for controls, the OS dock etc. is likely the main reason why Apple for example mainly stays away from 16:9 and goes for taller aspect ratios for their screens.

Alas, the main issue is that the 16:9 aspect ratio is much more mass produced so it is much cheaper to manufacture.

If Eve can make 16:10 happen at a decent price, they’ve found a very good niche.

1 Like

Thank for the fast reply. My post is inspired by the Huawei mateview that is a great option for productivity.

1. A good size can be actually having the same width of a 16:9 27", that’s a 28.2" with 3:2 aspect ratio (same as Huawei solution) or something between with 16:10.

2. I would be very nice to be able to choose between a glossy panel and a matte one. I prefer glossy that offers incredible advantages with controlled ambient lightning.

3. Higher refresh rate is not only for gamers, it’s really cool useful for professional use. As Lasse said “I think high refresh rate is beneficial for “productivity” use as well. It just makes scrolling through text, moving windows etc way better. Once you get used to the smoother overall experience its hard to go back to 60Hz, even if you’re not a gamer. You can already see non-gaming oriented laptops ship with >60Hz screens.”

4. 16:10 could be a good compromise between productivity and everyday use of case. It stays in the middle between 16:9 and 3:2.

5. In my opinion a monitor for a professional use case should not have too functionality that elevates too much the costs. It would be really cool having a 1 cable connection, bezel-less display, decent speakers behind the display increasing the thickness of the monitor, but who really cares about it :slight_smile:

That’s a good image that compares aspect ratios
Senza-titolo-1

1 Like

In terms of pixel density, something equivalent to 24″ 16:9 4K monitor would be perfect for 200% OS-level zoom. 27″ is too big at the typical viewing distance (arm’s length or so), it’s sad that the market moved to 27″ as the minimum size of 4K monitors.

Higher refresh rates increase overall user-interface responsiveness and therefore improve perceived performance/speed. When you click on the OS taskbar or press a button in an application, you get the result faster. Higher (than 60 Hz) refresh rates are certainly not just for gaming.

1 Like

Hi guys, good point. It does help with the overall feel of “responsiveness” and makes the user experience much better :slight_smile:

I guess once we have gone beyond 60Hz, coming back to it makes it feel like the computer is slowing down (even though it is not technically true)

For those who hasn’t experienced anything above 60Hz, it can be life changing

Firmware update is coming soon :slight_smile:

My take:

I fell in love with 16:10 monitors since I think it strikes a really nice balance when it comes to versatility. Although I have been going on with 16:9 for the last 10 years now. One day I will definitely leave this aspect ratio for good. But oh boy there are a lot of really nice 16:9 monitors out there and Spectrum is definitely one of the best.

Now, personally I don’t really need 4K. QHD has been more than sufficient for me. I guess this depends on what kind of productivity work we are doing. Since I don’t really do graphics and work with text most of the time, 4K hasn’t been a main selling point for me. But nope I am definitely not going back to FHD :laughing:

4 Likes

In my opinion 4k resolution or higher is mandatory for a professional use case.
A eve professional monitor with 16:10 aspect ratio, 120Hz of refresh rate, 4k or higher of resolution, thin bezels, cool design, glossy panel and usb hub integrated would be awesome.

3 Likes