Spectrum ES07D03 | Firmware 107 Community Feedback

Hello everyone!

It has been a week since we put out the v107 firmware update. We have been made aware from your feedback that there have been some issues that still need resolving.

If you have encountered any issues with v107, please help us by contacting our support team and submit a bug report form which you can find below:

Please add as much detail as you can for each section. Skip if you simply don’t have the information to provide.

Edit:
If you could title your message with Firmware 107 Bug Report this will help when consolidating all the information provided to us.

Bug report Questionnaire:

• MODEL NUMBER: Spectrum ES07D03
  • Scaler Firmware Version: 107
  • USB Firmware Version:
  • Device Type and OS version: i.e. PC Windows 10/Mac ver. 12.3 /Xbox Series… /PSX
  • CPU:
  • GPU:
  • Motherboard:
  • Video connection used for Spectrum:
  • **Cable brand / specs used for connection **:
  • Secondary video connection used for Spectrum:
  • USB Hub setup: i.e. USB-B connection / USB-C connection

Issue details:

• What does the issue look like (you can provide a picture or video here, if any):
  • What triggers the issue (how to replicate it):
  • What is the percentage of this happening: i.e. 50% of the time/ 100% of the time?
  • If it doesn’t happen all the time, what is the alternative outcome? i.e. monitor operates as normal? / other problem arises?
  • Please provide any additional details you have found.

This allows us to have as much information as possible on issues which we can then use to help diagnose what is causing the issue and begin work on implementing a fix in a future firmware update.

Below is also quick poll to find out what v107 fixed for you:

What issues did v107 fix for you?

• PS5 VRR
  • Lack of support for Display Stream Compression over USB Type-C
  • Lack of support for DDC commands from non-current source devices
  • Performance related issue - monitor power up and wake up time
  • Screen blanking/flickering issue
  • Video input settings not resetting with load factory default
  • Other issue not mentioned here
  • None

0 voters

If v107 has indeed resolved an issue that was not listed, please let us know!

Thanks for reading and have a great day :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t mind sending in tickets, but I still think posting threads about our problems in the forums is a good idea. It lets us collaborate quickly to find common issues or answer questions we already have answers too.

Is there a consensus yet on what focus the firmware team is taking based on the poll we did?

Also, congrats on your new position.

4 Likes

Posting a thread is definitely something I wish to encourage, we have a user base with high technical knowledge and discussions are a great way to learn more. Always feel free to post a thread about your issues!

The purpose of the ticket is so we can streamline the data collection process (make the process more effective) and have a consolidated list of all user reported issues that makes it easy for us to reference the needed information to multiple external parties. This is important to prevent any misunderstandings.

As for a consensus on the poll… Wait and find out :smiley:

1 Like

Firmware 107 Bug Report

• USB Firmware Version:
  • Device Type and OS version: PC Windows 11
  • CPU: RTX 3090
  • GPU: AMD 5950X
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
  • Video connection used for Spectrum: DisplayPort
  • **Cable brand / specs used for connection **:
  • USB Hub setup: USB-B connection / USB-C connection

Issue details: Sometimes when manually switching back to DisplayPort after using HDMI input, the monitor will not detect any video on DisplayPort.

• What does the issue look like Black screen, eventually showing “No signal” before going into sleep mode.
  • What triggers the issue (how to replicate it): Using a device on HDMI1 (PS5 in my case) for some time while PC is on desktop connected to DisplayPort. Leaving display on HDMI1 for some time and switching to DisplayPort.
  • What is the percentage of this happening: 10%
  • If it doesn’t happen all the time, what is the alternative outcome? Input will change to displayport and show desktop correctly.
  • Please provide any additional details you have found. When encountering the issue, restarting the monitor or reinserting cable did not fix. Only hard restarting PC fixed the issue.
3 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to fill this out and your dedication to improving our firmware. I will send this to the team to take a look at!

3 Likes

Not sure whether this is a Spectrum bug per se, so I don’t want to have a whole form for it (tell me if you want it), but I had this experience with an M1 Pro Mac:
Plugged it in post-update (106 to 107), had intermittent LED responses (on/sleep/on) then realized the Mac crashed. Plugged it with the lid open, worked fine. Closed the lid, the display blacked out then the Mac crashed again. This happened twice more until I got a Panic Medic Boot message of the Mac disabling all kernel extensions.
After this everything worked fine (lid closed/open). The only extensions I have installed are macFUSE (storage) and an audio-related SoundSource, which I assume was the problem since the cable passes audio.
I can’t (and frankly don’t want to) recreate the problem, but I’m just letting you know in case it’s something obvious to the firmware team, like a device ID reset or something.

Super thanks for the update, anyhow. The DSC support over USB-C is a boon. :grin:

1 Like

Hey @deeKay

I will bring this up to the team and see if they know a solution for this or if it is spectrum related and not just the audio-related soundsource you mentioned!

Firmware 107 Bug Report

• USB Firmware Version: default
  • Device Type and OS version: PC Windows 10 (Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044)
  • CPU: Intel 10900KF
  • GPU: RTX 3090 (Geforce GRD 516.59)
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Master Z490 (F21 bios)
  • Video connection used for Spectrum: HDMI
  • **Cable brand / specs used for connection **: GTEK Ultra High Speed 8K HDMI 2.1 Cable .
  • Secondary video connection used for Spectrum: nil
  • USB Hub setup: USB-B connection

Issue details: Screen blanking for upto 10 sec at a time and comes back if I set framerate above 4k60hz.

• What does the issue look like Black screen with using computer normal or gaming
  • What triggers the issue (how to replicate it): set framerate above 60hz @ 4k eg 120hz / 144hz
  • What is the percentage of this happening: 100% repeatable
  • If it doesn’t happen all the time, what is the alternative outcome? -
  • Please provide any additional details you have found. VRR on/off doesn’t matter. V107 has become unstable even @ 4k60 so reverted back to PS5.Test5 firmware…Very stable now @ 4k60.
3 Likes

Thank you for filling this out I will pass this along to the team!

In the meantime, are you changing the refresh rates through window settings or nvidia control panel? Also, our firmware team asked if you can try reverting to 516.40 to see if that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Aethel,
Changing refresh via nvidia control panel, and is happening on 516.40 as well.
cheers

Hey @Azlar987

I will be sending you a message to troubleshoot this issue further!

• USB Firmware Version: Notice it’s the “newer” version.
    Device(1): Depth0, V/PID = 2109/2822F0), , FW Ver = 06A4
    PD-Device: V/PID = 2109/0103, FW Ver = 0A.89.18.02
  • Device Type and OS version: 16" MacBook Pro 2021
  • CPU: M1 Pro
  • GPU: M1 Pro
  • Motherboard:
  • Video connection used for Spectrum: USB-C
  • Cable brand / specs used for connection: OWC Thunderbolt 4
  • USB Hub setup: Same USB-C cable, two audio devices connected on the left pannel.

Issue details:

• What does the issue look like (you can provide a picture or video here, if any): Black screen, will provide a video if needed.
  • What triggers the issue (how to replicate it): Described below.
  • What is the percentage of this happening: 100% of the time.
  • If it doesn’t happen all the time, what is the alternative outcome?

Hi, got another completely bizzare bug/OS issue with an M1 Pro MBP, once more present only at 144Hz, and only since 107 (afaik).
On GitLab’s SaaS platform (gitlab.com, not the one you can install yourself), when viewing any job page (the one with the black box), the screen blinks black a single time after 2-3 seconds on the page, then a second after, blacks out completely.
So far that is the only page I noticed it’s happening on, on Chrome, Safari and Firefox. There is no indication for anything odd happening neither in Chrome nor in macOS Console and I unfortunately can’t save the page and share it due to NDAs, but I assume it’s not related to my company specifically (we have a lot of different CIs generating different output).
I imagine the underlying cause is some unique render call or something that hogs all the bandwidth (?), but it’s really not my field of expertise and I basically have a clue. :sweat_smile:

Edit: Also want to add that,
a. This does not happen on the windows machine, connected via DisplayPort.
b. This still happens when the USB devices are disconnected from the monitor.

Edit 2: Silly me, GitLab has public repos (duh). So here’s an example of what causes my screen to black out: semgrep (#2674978687) · Jobs · Tezos / tezos · GitLab

2 Likes

Hey @DeeKay

Thank you for taking the time to fill this out and inform us of this issue! I will pass this along to the team.

• USB Firmware Version:
  • Device Type and OS version: Windows 11 PC
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X
  • GPU: Nvidia RTX3080
  • Motherboard: ASUS B550-i
  • Video connection used for Spectrum: HDMI
  • Cable brand / specs used for connection : Fiber HDMI2.1
  • Secondary video connection used for Spectrum: usb-c
  • USB Hub setup: USB-B connection

Issue details:

• What does the issue look like (you can provide a picture or video here, if any): The display just cannot catch the HDMI after powered on.
  • What triggers the issue (how to replicate it): Put the display to sleep for hours
  • What is the percentage of this happening: i.e. 50% of the time/ 100% of the time? 80%
  • If it doesn’t happen all the time, what is the alternative outcome? monitor operates as norma
  • Please provide any additional details you have found. Switching to other source/cycle through the options and back to HDMI might help most of the times. Guaranteed fix with PC reboot, but to do that I need to force power off because I don’t have other displays.
1 Like

Thank you for filling this form out and helping us make our firmware better! I will pass this along to the team to better help your issue!

Hi,
I do not have access to any windows computer to do the update. Is there any options for mac users available? There are 7 months since I heard some news about that the last time.

Oracle VM VirtualBox

• USB Firmware Version: 06A4 / 0A.89.17.02
  • Device Type and OS version: 2021 MacBook Pro 14-inch Version 12.4
  • CPU: Apple M1 Pro
  • GPU: Apple M1 Pro
  • Motherboard:
  • Video connection used for Spectrum: USB-C
  • Cable brand / specs used for connection: Thunderbolt 3
  • Secondary video connection used for Spectrum: Display Port
  • USB Hub setup: Mouse, Keyboard and webcam.

Issue details:

• What does the issue look like (you can provide a picture or video here, if any): Crashes the MacBook Pro, causing a bootloop. Computer becomes unresponsive after plugging in.
  • What triggers the issue (how to replicate it): Plugging the USB-C cable into any of the USB-C ports on the MacBook Pro.
  • What is the percentage of this happening: 100%
  • If it doesn’t happen all the time, what is the alternative outcome? This is new behaviour specific to this firmware update. Before this worked fine but just slow to display.

Hey @mutecipher Thank you for taking the time to fill this out! I will pass this along to the team!

Just to be clear the issue is the mac crashing and getting stuck in a bootloop? This is happening as soon as it connects to spectrum?

That’s correct. As soon as I plug my laptop into the Spectrum it freezes up, then crashes and goes into a boot loop. Other devices seem to be working okay. So unsure if a macOS issue, or a Spectrum issue. :+1:

2 Likes