ROG Zephyrus S15 2080 + Spectrum Monitor

Hello all, new here!
Have a few questions that I hope some of you could answer before buying the excellent Spectrum monitor.

Bought a ROG Zephyrus S15 (RTX-2080) last year, before the new gpu laptops made the rounds, and well, while it’s still a very decent machine, wonder if it can do what I plan to achieve. Laptop here for spec references.

What I want to do is: play games (not all of course) at 4K and preferably 1440p for the added fps. This machine is capable of outputting 4K @60Hz with HDMI, but upon contacting ASUS, was told that with DP 1.4 it can also output the same res, no problem.

Now, if I were to buy the Spectrum 4K model, can I still play games with a faster refresh rate? Read that it could be possible with certain cables and what not. Or in the worst case scenario, downscale the resolution to 1440p for certain games.
If so, what cables would I need to make it work: usb-c to displayport or usb-c to hdmi? Read also one needs a faster transfer rate (40Gbs) or so to achieve the desired results.

Very new into this external monitor setup, as I’ve mostly used the machine to game as is, but a bigger screen does sound great and the Spectrum is an amazing pick (specs wise and design).

I’d really appreciate any productive feedback and/or clarification on the matter. :v:

I have a RTX 2070 connected via DP cable. Windows has no problem sending a 4K 144Hz HDR signal to the screen.

My GPU obviously isn’t going to get that with all games. I’m running 1440p for certain games + G-Sync (VRR) and the screen works great. For older games that support 4K, I’m able to push the full 4K @ 144Hz.

For your ROG laptop, you’ll need a USB-C to DP cable.

Thank you for the reply. Glad to know it can be achieavable.
Any cable suggestions? Lots of them out there claim to do one thing but are rubbish.

Sorry, I can’t help much on the cable front. I’ve got an Alienware laptop with the 2070 in the Alienware-specific eGPU case. I’m just use a normal DP cable.

I think the main thing is to make sure that the cable supports 4K@120Hz. If it does, it should be fine for 144Hz.