Project: Spectrum | ES07D02 Project Update II

spuiib

Hi there, community!

It is me, Theo the community reporter, here to present more news on ES07D02 (280Hz matte) project development! I am here to bring any information on the development front as promised. This topic will be a quick update for you guys, and we are excited to get things rolling again!

*If you are looking for an overview of Spectrum development, click here.

The situation right now

It has been quite a tough past weeks for our colleagues in China with strict lockdown measures. While the cases seem to lessen, it is still a far cry from an ideal situation as restrictions are applied country-wide, as can be seen in this article. If you are interested, you may also read more about the situation in Shanghai here.

This posed a challenge for our operations, as majority of our partners are based in China, including the PCBA (logic board) factory. As explained in our previous topic, the situation prevented us from advancing with the development of ES07D02. However, it is improving and the lockdown policy is loosening up slowly.

Things are starting again for ES07D02

The policy changes allow our PCBA factory to operate again, albeit with limited capacity. This means ES07D02 can resume its development with the next step, design validation testing (DVT). We started supplying our logic boards directly to Lehui for further testing, followed by the assembly of ES07D02’s DVT build, which will continue its set of QRE testing.

Currently, we are investigating an issue with the backlight being too bright on the bottom. Our manufacturer’s panel team and panel provider, LG Display, are currently investigating the cause. This will be one of the items needed to be resolved during the DVT phase, as having the issue means that we will fail the out-of-box (OOB) test, which in turn prevents us from proceeding to the next phase of the project.

Uneven light
Bottom part of the panel appears brighter. The character in Chinese reads “(the panel’s) bottom looks bright.”

In addition, ES07D02 showed color banding when displaying a 10bit video. This issue was identified from our EVT prototype and needs to be fixed because it prevents our screen from being suitable for color grading.

P1000162
Color banding when playback some 10bit Panasonic V-log footage. The screen is slightly out of focus to emulate human perception.

P1000155-0001
Original V-log footage for comparison.

Anyways, that is all for now! As always, I will bring you guys more news in the future for any advancements we will accomplish with our projects. Stay tuned!

nlbanner
websitediscordtwitterfacebookinstagramyoutube

11 Likes

I keep seeing updates to the glossy 4k. Curious as to why that is taking precedent OVER already planned monitors like the ES07D02?

Feels like Eve is following the new shiny instead of providing real updates to the process as often as they are with the 4k glossy. Doesn’t seem fair tbh.

Do we have any updates? I don’t necessarily buy the shutdown or limited factory work unless all workers are being pulled to get the glossy 4k out the door. This again would be a huge slap in the face to those patiently waiting for the 2k.

4 Likes

Hi @kwasden,

I completely understand your viewpoint, but nothing takes priority over anything because, in fact, they are in different stages of development where things move faster for one and slower for the other. Projects still follow their intended timeline.

Glossy variants don’t require much R&D because it is already based on a mature project. That is why it seems like it moves faster than the matte variants. If it moves faster, then it means the updates are published more rapidly in our attempt to make our development process as transparent as possible. This has nothing to do with priority. Truth is, we want the products to be ready as soon as possible regardless of whether it is glossy, or not.

In the future, you can always refer to the timeline topic for the most recent update of our Spectrum development.