Project: Spectrum | ES07D02 -- Fast Just Got Faster

sfjgfbv3

Hello, hello, community!

It’s been a while! Most of you probably know that I’ve been filling in on the firmware liaison role, and we’ve had a lot of good progress there with adding features and fixing some bugs. But now I’m here to switch gears and talk about the upcoming Eve Spectrum ES07D02 (aka the Model 2), and a change we’ve made to it. That’s right, folks, we’re making it faster! It no longer tops out at a 240Hz refresh rate, but rather, thanks to some changes in the hardware, it has a new edge - 280Hz!

So, sit back, relax, and stay a while, as I take you along the journey on how we made this happen, and what it means for you.

Free spec bump!

You heard it first here! We’re giving you an upgrade straight out of the box! Your ES07D02 won’t max out at merely 240Hz, but an even smoother 280Hz for all that blistering gameplay you want to enjoy on this monitor. You hinted that it would be great to see increased headroom in refresh rate, and we instantly began evaluating the possibilities. Following our continuous efforts, this became a reality. We delivered even better experience to you with our monitors.

What changed?

The panel T-Con board’s firmware was upgraded.

In a nutshell, the timing controller (T-Con) board controls the resolution and timing of the display panel in TVs and monitors. This is a gross simplification of its actual function. For more information, this article about T-Con board is a great starting point.

The source driver IC has been modified to optimize the panel’s charging voltage.

The source driver IC (integrated circuit) is a display driver (not that thing you keep updating on your computer, though!) that is positioned behind the scaler and T-Con IC to form the path for displaying images on the screen. It takes the decoded pixel data from the T-Con IC and feeds it as analog voltage to the panel. The scaler is located on the mainboard, while the source driver IC can be found in the flexible printed circuit between the panel and T-Con board. An alternative explanation can be gleaned from this Wikipedia article and a more in-depth article with loads of information can be found in this whitepaper.

Moar speed!

But enough of the technical jargon. What does this really mean for you? Combining these two changes in our monitor’s design, we’re now able to push the refresh rate beyond our initially planned 240Hz to a new max of 280Hz.

Naturally, we all know that 280 is a higher number than 240. So, of course, most of us simply think “Oh, it’s faster!” We even played off of that with the title and the banner. However, the increased refresh rate makes motion more fluid. This puts you one step closer to life-like realism, making your experience more engaging and enjoyable.

That’s all for now. Be sure to take care of yourself and stay safe. Until next time!

nlbanner

20 Likes

Now make it 300hz! haha jk thats dope

5 Likes

As most of us placed our Orders at Mo 27.01.2020 the time would be right to ship the Devices with these awesome increased spect to us :smiley:

1 Like

The 280hz is a nice bump, but any new news on the glossy panel? Was hoping for a update, I don’t want my order to accidentally ship when I don’t want the matte version at all. I only want the glossy. =(.

6 Likes

Amazing work eve team. Can’t wait to get my hands on it.

4 Likes

I’m in the same boat as you. In another thread they mentioned you would still be able to opt-in for glossy after finalizing payment but not sure if I want to risk it…

2 Likes

Nothing yet. When we have any info to share, we definitely will share it, though. Personally, I’m keeping my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed that it’s a yes. To me, “Matte is sooooooooo 90s!” lol.

Also, if this does come to be, we will definitely have options for those who have both made down payments only as well as those who have fully paid the balance to upgrade to the glossy version.

that’s good news. What about the 4K spectrum ? Is there any possibility to make it 165hz @4K ?

Only if we get everyone’s Spectrums sent back to us - this was not just a software fix, it required modification to hardware itself.

I’m not trying to be snarky here, (although it does sound like it - my bad!) - but the reality is that the only way to do this on existing monitors would be to have the required changes made to the same (at the very least) components in our 4K monitors. This is not something that we can do ourselves.

This part in my post is where our hands are tied:

I hope that clears that up.

I was thinking that another option would be to let existing Spectrum customers buy the circuit board and let them do the swap themselves. It would void any warranty, but the customer could get the upgraded capabilities.

The only problem with that is the calibration. The circuit board would contain any calibration data for the panel, so it would be off.

The only way around this would be if there was some way to use the more popular calibration tools (i1Display or DataColor Spyder X) to create a calibration file in the right format, and provide some way for that to be flashed to the board. But that would require a lot of development work, and the benefits probably wouldn’t be worth the cost.

2 Likes

That would be an option - but I’m not sure if that particular board is actually available (or, more appropriately, would be made available) for purchase by consumers.

That 280 hz refresh is going to be a MAJOR benefit for this monitor :slight_smile: especially for backlight strobing enthusiasts! For those who don’t know, I saw a post from the chief at blur busters that he was thinking of the possibility of implementing a large vertical total version of the VRR + backlight strobing implementation.

Long story short, what this does is essentially send frames say 200 frames per second but at a higher 280 hz clock! It reduces crosstalk in general assuming it can be implemented with the VRR + strobing. So in exchange for having a lower larger freesync/gsync range like 48 - 200, it’ll have less crosstalk than the normal 48 - 280 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I wish I had said at the time overclock up to 300hz :joy: but 280hz is better than nothing. I say this to avoid stroboscopic crosstalk thanks to the upper range of Hz :wink: I will play my games this way:
60 FPS/Hz < 120 FPS/Hz < 240 FPS/Hz with backlight strobing always active

1 Like

Can you share the post where he details this information? I would like to read it ^^

1 Like

https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9441
4th post from the top.

2 Likes

thank you so much Liquidshadowfox ^^

1 Like

loooool I did not realize. I have it marked as favorites but I think I did not pay attention to those lines xd

1 Like

I have a little question. I don’t know if it works but, Can HDR content with backlight strobbing be activated and work at the same time? @Liquidshadowfox
It would be great if spectrum had this capability in the future @Lore_Wonder i wrote a comment on a post my opinion on the fake “10 bits”. HDR content is hands down better than SDR. The screen represents a wide range of colors (according to what standard you need to view or work x content and photography). The software and a good calibration allow to achieve this objective. But hardware like a true 10-bit panel is so essential. That is what allows a greater tonality of colors. The FCR will not help in all gradients depending on the scene and you will not get more colors. It will just avoid the onion layers in that scene that you realize. Otherwise, you’re just using an 8-bit panel that some marketers say is stuck in the 2000s or earlier. Frankly it’s ridiculous but well… The solution that Spectrum currently has is better to watch it than to be watching SDR content with Dynamic Contrast Ratio (DCR) technology because you will hardly see any improvement. Unless you dim very hard a scene that doesn’t require it

1 Like

As of right now, HDR + backlight strobing is not possible according to the chief in blur buster forum. I don’t remember the exact post but I remember him posting that it’s not currently possible due to the large variation of light intensity across the screen that will cause issue for the strobe.

I think the closest thing we can get to this is a OLED display that uses BFI (black frame insertion) or maybe it might be possible to use strobing on OLED since it’s much easier to achieve high contrast due to the nature of OLEDs having an “off” state for black pixels.

2 Likes

I was afraid that this case was true :pensive: In the end it all comes down to QD-OLED or Micro LED :joy_cat:
And one more question: activating the 8 bits + FRC to simulate the false “10 bits”, would there be any problem and affect the quality of backlight strobbing? FRC produces flickering. At high frequencies it is not noticeable but at low frequencies like 60 Hz. It may be a problem. Ugh!.. For that reason I was NOT happy with the Spectrum monitor. It does NOT use a true 10 bit panel and I don’t want to sacrifice backlight strobbing. I need it yes or yes.
I’ll have to swallow the SDR content. It’s not bad but… It’s a step backwards. Unfortunately, you can’t get absolutely everything but Spectrum is all I want it to cover my first need. Tired of looking for junk monitors on the market…

1 Like