My Whole Experience - Warzone @ 120 fps - Godman

Overall First Impressions
The Eve Spectrum 4k monitor is awesome. I purchased it primarily for 4k gaming at 120 fps on my Xbox Series X, where I exclusively play Call of Duty Warzone and for occasional personal PC use (my PC is 7 years old). I have to say that gaming in 4k at 120 fps, there is no comparison. The colours and resolution of this monitor is amazing! If you haven’t purchased one, I suggest you do so. It has been an incredible experience so far and I’m glad it was worth the wait.

Buying/Shipping Related Experience
$100 Deposit: April 25, 2021
Full Payment: May 31, 2021 with Express Shipping
Shipping: August 3, 2021 (Hong Kong)
Received: August 5, 2021 (Canada – ON)

In Canada, the Eve Spectrum is the first 27’ monitor I was able to purchase that was 4k and had HDMI 2.1 at 120+ fps. The LG, Acer, Asus, etc. were all out of stock or unavailable for purchase. I know Eve wanted to be 1st to market with this type of monitor over a year ago, but in my opinion, they still are because the others weren’t even an option for me.

When the full payment emails were sent out, I wish they were sent to everyone all at once, to avoid confusion when others had not received theirs, due to their order in the pecking line. I understand that I was at the back of the pecking line, but waiting and not knowing when you’ll receive one is brutal. There are ways to manage this and I hope Eve takes this into consideration for future products. I’ve sent 1 email to over 10,000 people many times – all I can say is there are better ways to manage the process.

As communicated by ReignDespair first, all express orders were to ship out by July 31. My order didn’t make it out before this deadline, but it happened shortly after, which I was fine with. My monitor only took 2 days to go from Hong Kong to Canada – I’m still shocked with how quickly I received it and loved all the updates through the AfterShip App. Thank you Eve! The package arrived with no issues. One takeaway for Eve for the whole shipping experience that I would suggest, would to include a process map / flow chart / table to show how the whole process works and estimated timelines – it will clear up a lot of confusion.

For those that are still waiting for their orders, primarily for standard shipping, my advice to you is to have patience. As communicated by Eve, there is a shipping container shortage and they must wait until a container is full to ship your orders out. If you choose to continue to complain, pony up and upgrade to express.

Firmware Upgrade
The first thing I did when I received my monitor was upgrade my firmware. I followed the post in the forum and it was a breeze. When newer firmwares are released, I hope there is some sort of notification process like receiving an email to let me know I can download, install and what developments have been made. I most likely won’t be following the community forums closely.

Xbox Series X Initial Play
Prior to receiving the monitor, I had ordered 2 of these 8k HDMI 2.1 cables off of Amazon. When I first hooked up the monitor, I used these cables and when I played Warzone, I was constantly losing signal to the monitor. As this was my first time using the monitor, I was like OMG, what is wrong with the monitor? I did all kinds of troubleshooting and determined it was these cables as other users on Amazon reported the same thing. I switched to the Xbox Series X cable that came with the console; it is indeed HDMI 2.1 – I didn’t know this previously. BUYER BEWARE – DO NOT BUY THESE CABLE FOR YOUR XBOX.

https://www.amazon.ca/Cable-Compatible-6-6Ft-48Gbps-Samsung/dp/B089T244F8/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+2.1+cable&qid=1628541893&sr=8-8

Call of Duty Warzone on XSX
The gameplay is incredible in 4k with HDR on. I’m running on average ~110 fps with these settings. If you turn HDR off, you still run at about the same frame rate, so why turn it off? My KDR will continue to rise with play on this monitor – after 3 days of gaming, my KDR average was 1.35 (I’m at 0.90 lifetime; playing on a 65’ TV ain’t easy), even in a time when hacking in Warzone is at an all time high. Want to play a couple games? Add me at GODMAN84#5384770.

Bugs / Suggestions / Questions
1)
HDMI 1: Xbox Series X with HDMI 2.1 Cable (in HDMI 2.1 mode)
HDMI 2: PC with HDMI 2.0 Cable (in HDMI 2.0 compatibility mode)
After playing on my Xbox, then turning it off and switching to my PC via changing inputs on the monitor, the Eve Spectrum cannot detect the signal. It will detect the signal when both are on though, which is odd. I have to unplug the power cable, plug it back in, then it detects it quickly. I hope this is fixed in future firmware releases. Do I need to submit a support ticket or will this be automatically flagged as an issue as per this post?

1. XSX at 1440p on Eve Spectrum 4k
    I’d like for the monitor to be detectable on the Xbox Series X at 1440p – it is only detectable at 720p, 1080p and 4k. I’d like to be able to see the difference in resolution / fps at 1440p. Is this possible?

2. Performance Menu:
    a) Low-latency mode is always greyed out for me. I do not know why? Any particular reason?

b) Response Time Overdrive  what are the differences between normal and high in the performance menu? These are not really explained in the user guide.

1. Presets
    I’d like to set a Preset that defaults to each HDMI Port – can I do that? For example, I have 1 Preset for Gaming and 1 Preset for Everyday Use. When I use HDMI 1 as my input, I want it to auto select the Gaming Preset and when I select HDMI 2, I want it to auto select Everyday Use Preset 2. It would be awesome if a future firmware release had this…

Update - Aug 16, 2021:
5. The monitor seems to be unable to have the FPS Counter and the Crosshair on at the same time. Why is this the case?

Update - November 11, 2021:
I sold my Xbox Series X and my Eve Spectrum 4K monitor to a friend, for exactly what I paid for it when I purchased at retail. Why did I do this? I’m building a high-end custom PC around the new Intel Alder Lake platform and will be switching to a 1440p / 240hz monitor, for higher fps. I picked up the Samsung G7 Odyssey and I have to say, I miss my Eve Spectrum already after a couple days of use.

15 Likes

Ya, all three of my Spectrums have a similar issue. Standby happens too fast, syncing video is happening too slow, its a recipe for trouble.

2 Likes

Hi @DG

Happy to see you are loving that screen too.
I had a similar issue with Eve no detecting the screen when hooked up to my pc after each reboot.

There can be issues with newer graphics card (RTX 3080 for me) in combination with Windows 10 and Fast startup. Disabling this fixed the problem for me and others using HDMI 2.1 on newer monitors. Hope this does the trick for you too :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Thanks for the post. I’m only running an integrated graphics card with my motherboard, nothing fancy.

Okay, probably another issue then :confused:

I like this review. I’ll be adding you tonight on warzone, maybe we will run some games and you can carry me.

2 Likes

Here’s some good HDMI 2.1 from Amazon if you need more of an alternative to what Xbox/ps5 gave. Zeskit is certified. I use them for my Home theater.

Zeskit Maya 8K 48Gbps Certified Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable 6.5ft, 4K120 8K60 144Hz eARC HDR HDCP 2.2 2.3 Compatible with Dolby Vision Apple TV 4K Roku Sony LG Samsung Xbox Series X RTX 3080 PS4 PS5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S1CGQ9Z/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_A0QWQWAB45TA64QH42TM

I’ll be using these with my monitor I’ll report back with how they do, I expect them to do just fine.

2 Likes

I’d like to know why this is, as well for me.

Adaptive sync being on disables low latency control in OSD.

1 Like

Yes I know. I had this turned off and it still didn’t show. A little frustrating since EVE stated it was working.

Just want to give you props for pointing this out. I’ve been having a lot of issues with stability of a triple spectrum setup, but when I disabled fast boot it helped with some (but not all) of the start up issues.

3 Likes

Thank you for your Writeup!

Also we have the same desktop case! I got mine for like $40 in 2012. I hate it aesthetically, but it was the best price and functions very well. I am doing a old powermac G5 to ATX conversion this year to replace it.

1 Like

lol nice. I’m surprised you picked that up…

I’m a fairly detailed person. It’s my job.
I have a similar 3 display VESA display setup as well.

Thanks for the review! Much appreciated. Can I ask you where you find the 50kd moving average k/d?

What setting on the monitor are you using?

I use https://wzstats.gg/ for my stats - you just need to unlock you Activision profile for a 3rd part vendor to be able to access them to provide meaningful stats.

Lol all that and sold that HDMI for that high fast fps with 120 fov! Smh im jealous because i want to throw this ps5 and hdmi 2.1 gaming monitor talk out the window after seeing it on PC esp with Faze Swagg getting to build PC 3090 ddr5 intel 12th gen and to top it off a asus 27 inch 1440 0.5ms 270hz monitor thats 200-300’dollars cheaper then a hdmi 2.1 monitor lol. Def saving for pc! Waiting for next 40 series gpu’s with Warzone 2! Because I know id b wishing i waited if I got a PC for this 2 year old Warzone

2 Likes

I hope Warzone 2 is an improvement over Caldera. I can’t stand this new map. I love my new PC though.

1 Like