Micro SD slot problems

When I try and copy a 3GB directory using my new micro sd card, which is the 128GB version of this model: microSDHC/microSDXC Class 10 UHS-I Card - Technical Support - Kingston Technology, then about a third of the way through the copy every time I try it, the copy freezes and stays there for about a few minutes:Capture1
Then It gives me this error: Capture2
Now after this the SD card becomes unreadable: Capture3
In order to make it work, I have to eject it and reinsert it.

The SD card works 100% however if I use a USB A to SD card adapter instead of the micro SD card slot.

Is there any software solution to this or does it look like a hardware problem?


Does it work if you try a smaller/ different file?

I am copying a directory with thousands of files and it failed on a different file each time.
The last one I remember was a 40mb MP3 file

I am sure you already thought about energy saving config and this is not the case? Other idea would be different file formats with different requirements for filename etc… Could you copy the same data to the sd by using another device /notebook ?

I have a 200GB sdxc (ntfs formatted) and moved several 14GB-48GB files onto it without any problems. I am using SanDisk Ultra.

Looks like a firmware issue to me.

As if after a certain byte position it went overflow or hit a limit.

Can you “measure” at how many GB exactly does this happen and if it’s repeatable always at the same amount of GB? It could give a clue as to the nature of the firmware issue.


Are you sure all of the copied files can still be read in this case?
If not, it might mean that the card itself is defective (or with a falsified capacity), that the SD card reader somehow detects it, and stop copying…

Try downloading this: SD Memory Card Formatter | SD Association

And format the SD card to NTFS with the appropriate cluster size for that particular SD card. Sometimes having the wrong cluster size would cause overhead in file-system’s file-management and freeze the transfer or cause interruption.

Note: It’s wise to choose a size that matches and is aligned with the size used by the controller on the sd card. You’ll get much better performance out of a card where the filesystem is aligned on an erase block boundary, and does it’s I.O in internal segment sized units.

I should warn you that formatting the SD card will erase any data you have on it so transfer your data to a backup storage temporarily until after you have formatted the card.


Thanks, I’ll try that

It was my dropbox folder and dropbox didn’t redownload any of it, so it seems fine

I’ll try check that with the new format that sudoapt mentioned

Let me know how it goes, hopefully that solves your issue :sunglasses:

Not sure this helps, but I tried copying >40GB files from a 64GB microSD and did not have any problems (it’s formatted as NTFS 4096 bytes).

How did it go? Haven’t heard anything yet.

Sorry, yesterday I was busy setting up my V with other stuff.
I have resumed testing today and I am improving my methodology, such as using a large standard file and doing hash checking to check for corruption. ATM I am busy making a 100GB encrypted file to use as a test file as the 2GB one works fine.

When I tried to format using the tool you suggested it failed when using the built-in slot: Capture4, so I had to use the adapter and it formatted fine.
I will get back soon once I am done with the testing on a 10000 file directory and the 100GB test file.

So everything looks good:

  • Transferred back and forth 1GB folder of 10000 files

    • Didn’t do checksum as many files, though in hindsight I could have archived them and checked the archive
  • Transferred back and forth a 2GB movie file and checked with checksum that there are no errors

  • Same with 100GB encrypted volume.

So it looks the formatting worked, thanks!
There is also 16MB of unformatted space on the sd card, which I presume is for alignment.

1 Like

I am glad to hear that it worked. Mmm, the built-in slot is an interesting conundrum which sounds like a driver issue which is why the formatting tool failed. Your adaptor would have an on-board driver which is why it worked, at least I think so.