Linux on the Eve 2021

I finally received my Eve V after countless emails informing us of the many delays we had to endure as you all know and I’m happy to say it was well worth it. the eve V2 laptop is the best I’ve ever owned and its very obvious the quality and engineering effort that was put into this machine and I’d like to thank each member of this community and the company first off.

I’m dual booting the provided windows 10 and Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 on a separate partitions, my Linux system boots with notifications requiring me to “Check video drivers” on a pop up at the bottom right corner of my screen, however, my driver manger informs me that there are no updates available.

I’m unable to reduce he brightness of the screen on either the function key or display settings, my battery life is no longer that 1:45 on a full charge, I can’t change the display resolution, keyboard back light doesn’t work and its running very hot.
I’ve looked around the Mint forums but haven’t found anything for the eve.

Its worth noting that the Windows 10 OS works as advertised with no issue, unlike my Linux OS

I was hoping some one could point me in the right direction or so I can get Mint running properly on my Eve or if anyone has found a flavor of Linux that works without these issues with the Eve V2 drivers and firmware. I feel like I might be over looking something simple but I can’t figure it out.
any Help would be appreciated.

None of these issues happen with the Windows 10 OS just the Linux?

Also, thank you for the kind words on the product! The team and most importantly, the community, worked very hard to make this product come to life! Glad to hear your appreciation :slight_smile:

I’ve been messing around with a bunch of different setups for linux this evening. I would highly recommend using wayland instead of x11 (so cinnamon / mint is probably not a great option). I know wayland has issues, especially scaling with high dpi screens, but I could not get touch events running smoothly on x11 no matter what I tried. I’m a fan of KDE, so settled with Kubuntu 22.04. Battery life seems comparable to Windows (before I nuked it and can’t get the drivers now). No issues changing screen brightness. Screen rotation and tablet mode automatically activated when keyboard is removed. I installed the beta backport to upgrade to plasma (sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/beta && sudo apt full-upgrade -y) and wayland (sudo apt install plasma-workspace-wayland) - make sure to login with Wayland not xOrg. Also I recommend increasing the font size on grub to like 30pt either manually or through grub-customizer. I’ll report back if I run into any issues!

2 Likes

thanks for the update, I figured it was going to be trial and error with different distros before we could find one that worked.
i’m downloading kubuntu as I type this.

2 Likes