DOWNLOAD: Blur Busters Strobe Utility for Eve Spectrum Monitors

Hi!

It seems I have encountered a possible bug. The scrolling UFOs begin scrolling in a slower speed, then the speed ramps up to the point of me being sick if I try to calibrate the strobing. LOL

The test worked as expected using the browser verison

That is normal behavior as it synchronizes to the refresh rate – But you are right; I need to put a better animation algorithm there. Thanks for the report.

3 Likes

Is there a dedicated webpage yet for the utility, or is the direct link to the .exe still the newest release?

1 Like

The direct link is sill the the same as the newest release.

I’ll be making dedicated pages for the multiple brands of strobe utilities – but I would like to hear more feedback from Strobe Utility users first.

Anybody who would like to provide feedback – I’d love to hear back by here, by email, by private message, or on Blur Busters Forums.

4 Likes

Does backlight strobing work with HDR? Or do I need to turn that off to try this?

1 Like

HDR is not available with strobing, due to the loss of brightness that strobing does.

2 Likes

HDR is more than just brightness its also an increase in the colour gamut to rec. 2020. Although I get that backlight strobing will stop the display from acheiving DisplayHDR 600 levels it still allows the app to say make this pixel as bright as possible compared to others. There are numerous reasons as to why we would want backlight strobing on with HDR (even though it wont be quite as bright).

2 Likes

I’m in the same situation than you. I would love to watch HDR content while using blacklight strobing :weary:

1 Like

Chief, wouldn’t it be possible to allow those people who want to watch HDR content while using blacklight strobing? I include myself in that group of people. Please make it possible knowing the consequences, due to the loss of brightness that strobing does. Please :pray: :pleading_face: :sparkling_heart: I also want Pixel-perfect scaling to be compatible with blacklight strobing. I bought my Spectrum QHD 280 Hz for this reason. I intend to use yes or yes blacklight strobing while having other features enabled at the same time. I don’t know if I ask a lot but I trust your work, I’ve been reading your articles since 2018 - 2019, the posts that people make on BlurBuster.com I have never registered but it is the type of website that I frequent a lot to read and inform myself. The work and the years of effort are incredible. I believe in you :crossed_fingers: :100: :heart:

1 Like

I have understood what you mean when viewing HDR content. I have written a comment in which I summarize what I say “HDR content is hands down better than SDR. The screen represents a wide range of colors (according to what standard you need to view or work x content and photography). The software and a good calibration allow to achieve this objective.” “The FCR will not help in all gradients depending on the scene and you will not get more colors. It will just avoid the onion layers in that scene that you realize.” “The solution that Spectrum currently has is better to watch it than to be watching SDR content with Dynamic Contrast Ratio (DCR) technology because you will hardly see any improvement.”
edge led local dimming sucks but the monitor supports more color coverage. Not true 10bit though… I’m more inclined to watch HDR content than SDR. There will be some improvement, however significant, and I’d rather we have the freedom to turn this feature on and not sacrifice one feature for another.

1 Like

Strobing reduces brightness. Part of the HDR standard is brightness. They’re diametrically opposed. You can’t have both.

No thats not true.

HDR10 standard does not care how bright your display gets merely that your display supports wider formats and colour gamut. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDR10 I have a ‘HDR’ monitor that is barely brighter than an SDR monitor.

Of course a VESA DisplayHDR 600 certification is not going to be achieved with backlight strobing on an Eve Spectrum but VESA doesn’t care that a certain setting lowers the brightness as long as it achieves it in optimal brightness settings (as having a brightness setting in your display would violate the VESA certificate otherwise). The VESA certificate is also just a certification not a standard per se.

Also a display that is bright enough, with strobing, will be brighter than other HDR displays without strobing. My old monitor and my new Eve Spectrum is an example of this.

1 Like

It literally is true. The HDR standards need certain levels of brightness, being controlled by the metadata from the source video or game engine. It’s why brightness controls are locked out on Spectrum when HDR is enabled.

No its not. I’ve literally just pointed you to the HDR10 standard’s wikipeadia page please reference where how many cd/m2 a display must achieve. If you are talking about VESA certificates thats a certification process not a HDR standard.

The reason why the brightness controls are locked out (and I believe this is monitor model dependent but almost all do it) isn’t to keep VESA happy or adhere to the standards its because as no display can achieve 10000 nits or reach the full colour gamut then you need to calibrate the app according to the displays capabilities which can even vary on a per display basis. Also the content is calibrated for certain brightness levels when it is produced.

In order to look right it is usual to calibrate the display in software so that the app can display the content correctly and there is no standard means of getting values back from monitors right now. Rightly or wrongly the display vendors and software stack have thought it best to stop manual overriding of this and grey out these settings so that this can all be controlled CPU/GPU etc side.

1 Like

No, that’s where dynamic metadata more comes into play than being controlled by the metadata from the source video or game engine. If the color spaces and the brightness delivery that handle the content and the television coincided, that adaptation process would not be necessary. But they don’t match. In fact, the color space of HDR content is described by the BT.2020 standard. The goal with dynamic metadata is to match the color and brightness of the content to its actual capabilities, which are always lower. The tone mapping process relies heavily on the metadata being able to describe color and brightness as accurately as possible, so that the content can be reproduced on the television or monitor faithfully respecting the original intention of the creator of the film. , series or video game.
Summary: If you fall short to push more nits, maybe I oversaturated the white content + another color to make it appear brighter. Even if your screen is dimly lit. Unless I’m wrong in what I’m saying xD
And yes, it’s totally true that content is calibrated for certain brightness levels when it’s produced. Another major problem that adds to the list is that we have to see good quality HDR content, it is due to the screen. That is why screen calibration, a standard such as DCI-P3 and software that achieves such a similar result. It must be adapted and that’s it, because in general many screens on the market do not drive as many nits as 1000, 1400, 2000, etc.

2 Likes

I also thought the same. If you completely undo the calibration of the monitor, each unit is a world. There is nothing set. Let the GPU do it and that’s it xDD

1 Like

You can’t have both due to the ability to deliver nits. That is what I am understanding. Spectrum should be capable enough to become a very bright display. I’m giving you half a reason

1 Like

Dynamic metadata is scene by scene. Normal metadata sets a brightless level for the entire video. That’s the only only difference. It has nothing to do with the device’s capabilities.

Er, did you check your link?

" * Static metadata: SMPTE ST 2086 (mastering display color volume), MaxFALL (maximum frame-average light level), and MaxCLL (maximum content light level)"

Right there is requirements for certain brightness levels in the HDR10 standard.

Eve have literally made the statement that when HDR is set to on, the video and source devices need to control the brightness level in order to properly process the HDR signal.

Multiple experienced people (Eve and Blur Busters) with displays have said it can’t be done. There’s a reason for that…

No those values in the metadata are settings that the software sets, that the display then (optionally) uses to figure out how best to display the content. It is not how bright the display can get to - merely what the intention of the app/content is. Eve and Blur Busters are very knowledgable that is not in dispute, what you’ve said is: it is absolutely possible to have HDR with backlight strobing - it may not be the best HDR experience but it IS possible.

2 Likes